Monday 21 April 2014

Indigenous Micro-organisms/IMO

I spend a hell of a lot of time googling things to do with my garden, I have have lost many hours at home and work looking at stuff, projects, plants, DIY....... ETC. I am always looking for new idea's and ways of doing things and improving what I do now. I certainly enjoy the process of looking and trying things out. It was through one of my googling sessions I came across Indigenous Micro-organisms or IMO's for short, these are present within our soil and are a good gage on its fertility. I have been over the last two years using the Bokashi composting system which employs IMO's to breakdown waste anaerobically. This process which I have wrote about previously (Bokashi Composting) creates both a quick way to make compost as well as a liquid feed rich in nutrients as well as IMO's. Its very much a winner for me, However the one and only downside to it is the cost of the Bokashi Bran itself, which isn't cheap in my opinion. But as it turns out the Koreans have been farming with IMO's for centuries and you don't need a laboratory to create it. All you need to begin with is some rice and some sugar!! If your at all interested in making your own bokashi its well worth watching Bryan McGrath's Vlog linked below.







I found that taking notes from these videos helps as they are quiet long and indepth, yet the actual process on paper seems simple. I have already begun the process of collecting my own IMO's with my bowl of rice, fingers crossed that in a few days when I look it will be full of nice white mold.

The aim eventually is to make my own Bokashi, using the IMO's i have collected and grown and then inoculating wood shavings that I already buy in for the chicken coop. I may even see if I can use shavings that I have taken out of the coop and separate out most of the manure. Its all a bit of an experiment but after reading a few studies on the effectiveness of IMO's on soil quality I think its certainly worth trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment