Sunday 6 April 2014

Trio Tin Can Planter Project

I have been a busy boy! Making things, from trash and this is another project I recently finished. A trio of vertical tin can planters. The idea came to me after seeing a similar projects on Pinterest made with terracotta pots that sat in wooden rests and suspended vertically.I thought they were great and wanted to make my own. However I neither had the required pots or tools to make them. So like a good upcycler I thought about what materials I could get a hold off. 




To make this you will need.......

Three large tin cans (I sourced these from my work, they are around 3 litres in size)
Three hanging basket chains (I bought these for about 75p from a local garden shop)
Two M8 marine bolts with nuts and washers (the most expensive part of this if you find a cheaper part that's great)
A drill and metal drill bits
Electrical wire snips
And Paint!!

To Build.....

Clean your tins inside and out in hot soapy water
Lightly sand the surface you are going to paint and wipe with a damp cloth
Drill your holes,you will need to drill one hole slightly bigger than the M8 bolt in the centre base of two cans, three small hole around the rim of the can for the chain clips, I did this by eye it doesn't need to be perfect. and finally drainage holes.
Attach your M8 marine bolts a washers on either side and tighten up.
Paint your cans, I used spray paint that I had in the shed hence the random nature of the colours.
Attach your hanging basket chains, I shortened mine to 12 links as they were far to long, to do this just count the amount of links you would like for the desired length, move the clip to that link and if it looks right snip of the excess with the wire snips.
Finally plant up!! My trio is going to be in an almost full shade part of my yard thus ferns will be going in when I get some.

No comments:

Post a Comment